I had the amazing opportunity to share my love for vegan cooking on CBS 6 Virginia This Morning. I made lentil tacos! Lentils are a staple food at my house because they’re versatile and packed full of nutrients like iron and zinc. They’re also a great source of fiber and protein. Not only are they delicious, but they’re affordable so they’re good for your belly and your wallet.
I will always advocate for a whole foods plant based diet. However, I understand there is a transition period when you are first starting out. That is why I showed the vegan mock meats that are available. I believe these mock meats will help with your transition, but I am by no means saying to consume these on a regular basis. Same goes for the sour cream – I wanted to show you that there are vegan options available. However, I encourage you to make your own if you can using cashews. That said, make these lentil tacos and let me know how you like them 🙂
Vegan Lentil Tacos
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp agave
- 1 cup green lentils, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- Add the water, onions, and garlic in a pan on medium high heat. Cook until onions are translucent.
- Next, add your spices and toast them until fragrant.
- Now, add the tomato paste, agave and mushrooms. Cook until mushrooms have reduced in size.
- Add the vegetable broth and lentils. Stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil then simmer on low heat until the lentils absorb the broth (approx. 25-30 mins). Stir occasionally.
- Lentils should be soft once they absorb the broth
- Now assemble your tacos using flour or corn tortillas. Top with vegan cheese, sour cream, lettuce, salsa and avocado.
You can watch me here
Love always, Jasmine