My family and I love the Hawaiian islands. So much so, that we frequent the islands often and my wife and I got married there! One popular dish on the islands is Poké. You say it like poh-kay. It’s made of tuna commonly served on a bed of rice.
I don’t eat tuna of course, so I was thrilled when I saw this vegan version. This is my take on watermelon poké. Enjoy!
Vegan Watermelon Poke
- 7 cups watermelon cubed
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1-2 tbsp seaweed or kelp flakes (this gives a fishy taste)
- sesame seeds
- Combine soy sauce, vinegar and sesame oil in a shallow dish. If you choose to use seaweed or kelp add it to this mixture.
- Toss in the cubes of watermelon and coat evenly
- Allow to marinate overnight
The next day
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat
- Sauté watermelon until liquid dissipates. For me, this took 25-30 mins. Do not let it caramelize, it will taste bitter.
- Now serve over a bed of rice and whatever toppings you'd like. Enjoy!
Love always, Jasmine