Now I know what you’re thinking… ‘Jasmine how can a tomato taste like fish?’, but fear not my friend it’s better than fish. I honestly think if you blind-folded someone and had them try this they wouldn’t even know it was a tomato. The cream cheese I used was from the company Kite Hill. In my opinion, the best vegan cream cheese on the market.
Make this for your next brunch, it’ll be a hit! Inspiration for this recipe is from Megan, creator of Carrots and Flowers. She makes amazing vegan dishes, so go on over to her blog and explore!
Vegan Lox and bagel
- 1 bagel cut in half
- 2 large tomatoes
- 3 tbsp liquid aminos
- 1 tsp water
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- 1/4 of a nori sheet
- 2 tbsp chives chopped
- 2 tbsp capers
- 3 tbsp red onions chopped
- Boil a pot of water. Score an X shape on your tomatoes, slightly piercing the skin. Drop tomatoes into boiling water for about a minute to a minute and a half.
- Remove tomatoes from hot water and place into ice water. Once cooled, peel skin and cut tomatoes in half. Carefully trim off the soft flesh leaving the hard interior and seeds.
- Combine aminos, water, and smoke into a bowl. Crumble nori sheet into mixture.
- Place soft tomato pieces into the same bowl, evenly coat pieces and allow it to marinate in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Toast bagels then spread an even layer of cream cheese on bagels.
- Now it’s time to assemble. Place your “lox” on top of cream cheese and layer on the red onion, capers and chives. That’s it!