I believe that less is more. It’s all about the experience, not the stuff. I want to share with you some tricks to enjoy this Halloween a minimalistic way.
My family and I decided to have a Monster Ball filled with spooky food, cider, dancing, games, costumes, and movies.
We opted to make some yummy vegan treats that the whole family could enjoy. Making your own food is a fun experience for kids. So get them to join in!
- 1 can vegan crescent dough I used Immaculate Baking
- 1 pack vegan hot dogs
- Couple slices vegan cheese optional
- 1. Cut the dough into long strips 2. Wrap the hot dog to resemble a mummy. 3. If you opt in for cheese, cut the cheese into thin slices, place it behind the hot dog and then wrap it with the dough. There’s no right or wrong way to do this, just have fun with it.4. Bake according to dough instructions. 5. Once cooked, allow to cool. Use mustard to create eyes (as seen on photo)
Graveyard dirt cup
- 5 pieces vegan oreos I used Newman O’s
- 1 cup vegan chocolate pudding
- 1 tsp coconut shreds
- 1 piece fruit leather
- 1. Use a mason jar or any cute glass jar or cup you have on hand. 2. Place the pudding inside the glass jar, about 3/4th of the way. 3. To make the “dirt”, place oreos in a muslin bag or in between clean kitchen towels and crush them gently. Now sprinkle it on top of the pudding. 4. Lastly, cut the fruit leather into tombstone shapes and use the coconut shreds to write RIP (as seen in photo)Optional: you can sprinkle the remaining coconut shreds on the pudding
- 2-3 whole apples
- 2-3 popsicle sticks if you want a zero- waste option make apple slices instead
Toppings: chocolate chips, coconut shreds, chopped nuts or seeds
Easy caramel sauce
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 3-4 tbsp maple syrup
- I make vegan caramel 2 ways. I use dates or almond butter. I opted for the easiest option, almond butter and maple syrup.1. Combine caramel ingredients and let it marry for a few minutes. 2. Now you can spread this mixture onto your apples 3. Next, top them with toppings of your choice! 4. Refrigerate for 30 mins and enjoy!For slices:1. Cut apples into slices2. Dip apple slices into caramel sauce3. Add toppings of your choice4. Refridgerate for 10-15 minutes and enjoy!
We made last minute costumes using what we had. It was a ton of fun and it cost close to nothing. It’s time to get creative!
Costume #1: Starbucks drink and Barista
This costume was so easy to put together and looked insanely cute! My parents love their Starbucks so this was very fitting. You’ll need a plain white T-shirt, green T-shirt, headband, tissue paper, Starbucks logo print out and a Starbucks straw and drink cover. Cut the logos and secure them on the shirts using a safety pin or double sided tape. To make the whipped cream headband: crumble up the tissue paper and secure on the headband using double sided tape. Secure the straw and drink cover as seen in the picture.
You’re all set!
Costume #2: Regina George
Ok, who doesn’t love Mean Girls? *flips hair* Regina George is flawless lol! To make this costume you’ll need: a white tank top, any colored shirt or bra, black pants or skirt. Since we didn’t have a purple bra, we used a bright colored shirt. Put the white tank on top of the colored shirt. Now cut holes to resemble Regina’s. That’s it!
So of course you’ll need a Burn Book. We used a spiral notebook and drew the art using permanent markers and crayons. To complete the book, seal it with a kiss. Yazz Queen!
Game #1: Pin the Arm on the Zombie
My niece drew this picture for our game. It’s basically like Pin the Tail on the Donkey. So we had each player close their eyes and spin around 3-5 times. As the eyes remain closed, they tried to attach the arm on the zombie. This game was hilarious!
Game #2: Musical Chairs
For this we played our favorite Halloween hits as the players walked around the chairs.
MUSIC, MOVIES & DANCE PARTY
We put together a playlist of our favorite songs and had a dance party. Zombie train, Thriller dance and more! Here are some awesome songs:
I Put a Spell on You
This is Halloween
Calling All the Monsters
After dinner and dancing we watched Hotel Transylvania and Hocus Pocus!
Hope you enjoyed these ideas. Being a minimalist doesn’t have to be boring. Our minimal celebration was fun and a great way to spend time with family. We had a spooktacular time!